Illuminating, raw, honest and hopeful, How to Fail as a Popstar is Vivek’s debut theatrical work, chronicling her journey to “not quite” pop music superstardom. A reflection on the power of pop culture, dreams, disappointments and self-determination, this astonishing performance is a triumph in finding one’s authentic voice.
- Play and original songs written and performed by Vivek Shraya
- Composition by Vivek Shraya & James Bunton
- Sound design by James Bunton
A smart, funny portrait… and worth seeing.
How to Fail as a Popstar is a qualified success.
Shraya may not have reached the top echelon of pop stardom, but sharing her persistence and self-discovery just might be a bigger gift. After all, these are the stories we rarely hear told.
Shraya scores a big success.
A moving tale that any person who’s struggled to achieve their dreams can easily relate to, and Shraya has a certain magnetism to her performance that keeps the one-woman show moving fluidly.
Vivek Shraya is such a charming presence, sings beautifully and certainly has a facility with lyrics, that she draws in her audience… One thing is for sure—this show is a winner.
You leave feeling all the feels.
One of the most vulnerable things I’ve seen onstage.
- The 10 best Toronto stage shows to see in February 2020
- 8 Things to Do in Toronto This Week
- World premiere production (2020) · Berkeley Upstairs Theatre, Toronto
- High Performance Rodeo (2020) · Engineered Air Theatre, Calgary